Sunday, February 10, 2008

Mom's Roast

I've had this craving for comfort food lately. Maybe it's because it's dark and dreary outside, maybe it's because it was -7 this morning when I woke up or maybe it's just because I miss my mom's homestyle cooking. I've been finding more and more that I want to make Coonsie's recipes: baked chicken, pineapple upsidedown cake, meatloaf. Of course I spice them up a bit and don't follow them to a "T," but they usually turn out well. I still say she can make all my favorites better than I can, but then maybe some day my family will say that about some of my recipes. I can only hope! Anyways, I made the roast below on Saturday. Once again my favorite butchers over at Everett's Meat Market really picked a fine piece of meat. I love our butcher.



Mom's Roast

-3-4 lb chuck or round bone roast

-2-3 large onins, halved

-6-7 carrots, washed and cut into thirds

-3-4 celery stalks, washed and cut into thirds

-A handfull of red potatoes, washed and cut into fourths

-1 packet of lipton's onion soup mix
-3-4 cups H2O

-salt and pepper


Preheat oven to 350. Salt and pepper the meat. Add all ingredients to a roasting pan. Cook roast until you can easily pull the meat apart with a fork.

The roast in my turkey roasting pan.

Up close and personal.

No comments: