Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Cool Beets!


I received some beets from our CSA the other day. I had no idea that they were going to be yellow when I cut into them. Even though I love my new camera this picture doesn't really do them justice. Anyways, I cut them up and roasted them for dinner last week. Along with that we had slice tomatoes and salmon patties. The following recipe was crafted by my mother or someone on her father's side of the family--he was from Kentucky. We used to eat salmon patties with butter beans on the side. What you've never tried a butter bean? They look like a pink/peach larger version of a kidney bean. They usually come in a can and we would cook them in a pan until warm and ready to serve. Butter Beans have this great texture and a wonderful "butter" flavor. Anyways, on to the first recipe modified from my mother's for my own taste buds. Some people serve with a tartar sauce, but I think they are super tasty plain.


Salmon Patties
1 can of salmon
1 package of crackers (I like to use Ritz)
1 beaten egg
salt and pepper
flat leaf parsley
paprika for a little kick

-Mix the can of salmon with the beaten egg
-Add the crackers
-Add salt, pepper, parsley and paprika to taste
-Shape into little patties and cook in a saute pan until firm

Last night I made a recipe from Janet Is Hungry: Pasta. She has one of my favorite sites. Really practical food and I love her pictures. Anyways, I was in a comfort food mood and had a ton of tomatoes from the garden that I haven't gotten around to using. So, I thought this recipe would be really great and it was. I modified a couple of things with some odds and ends I had around the house (changes are italics).
Comfort Pasta
1 lb lean ground beef
1 envelope onion soup mix
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 28oz can diced tomatoes
1 5.5oz can tomato paste
4-5 roma tomaotes
1 clove of garlic
1 green pepper
2 cups water
2 cups small pasta shells
1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
-In a large pot, brown beef and drain fat. Stir in onion soup mix
-Add all tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil and water.
-Bring to boil. Stir in pasta and let simmer, covered for 20 minutes.
-Stir in Parmesan cheese and pour everything into a 9"x13" dish (I used a cast iron pot)
-Top with mozzarella and bake at 350F for 30 minutes.
-Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting.

No comments: