Friday, August 20, 2010

Canning with Coons

Last night my mom and Tim helped me can 9 pints and 5 quarts of peaches. I have to explain to you what a GREAT feat this was as my mom HATES canning. She was forced to do it as a child and grew up thinking of it as a chore and not as something fun to do. For me it's just the opposite. Even though it takes time I love the smell it creates in my kitchen and the end product is always amazing. Plus, my mom usually never starts projects after 3pm and we didn't finish until 10pm last night. Anyways, I've never canned peaches before and had purchased 1/2 bushel from Afton Apple as I do every year. Most years I just pit and freeze the peaches for use in baking goods, but this year I decided to can because I had some canned peaches at a friends house recently and they were delicious. Anyways, amongst getting ready to go away for the weekend we got the canning done last night and it was so much fun. I love doing stuff like this with my mom!

The peaches after we took the skins off.







No comments: